With compassion and compassionate care at the heart of our mission, the Duke Department of Urology is committed to advancing access to equitable healthcare and fostering an inclusive working environment through:
- Establishing and improving pipelines for URiM medical students interested in urology;
- Active engagement with the local Durham and surrounding communities;
- Fostering inclusive educational programs where trainees can learn and grow as themselves; and
- Committing to continuous learning and awareness in order to better serve each other and our communities.
The Department of Urology DEI Committee comprises faculty, staff, and trainees and is led by Co-Chairs, Drs. Charles Scales and Ashley Johnston.
If you are interested in serving on this EDI committee, please contact Dr. Charles Scales, Professor of Urology, at email@example.com.
The Duke Department of Urology currently has several active initiatives that seek to empower each of our faculty, trainees, and staff to become a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive department.
Here are just a few ways we are doing that:
- Duke Urology is actively engaged in our local and surrounding communities. One of our major initiatives is partnering with the Duke Cancer Institute to conduct the annual Prostate Cancer Early Detection Community Screening program.
- In 2022, Duke Urology established the Edge Scholarship for visiting students who identify as Underrepresented in Medicine (URiM), awarded to a 4th-year medical student completing a urology sub-internship at Duke. Providing this scholarship aims to ensure the door is always open to students considering a career in urology.
- We have established a statement on the importance and need for equity, diversity, and inclusion in urologic and medical education as a commitment to training and educating new urologists from all walks of life. Read our statement on EDI in Urologic Education here.
- Duke Urology is partnering with North Carolina Central University for a research initiative that aims to study disparities in prostate cancer healthcare, and develop innovative approaches for prevention, detection, and treatment of prostate cancer.